Long View’s Culture of Caring
Since Long View was founded, it’s leaders have worked hard to nurture a culture where staff members view each other as family. We take pride in how our “culture of caring” has become a hallmark of our company. As a result, we offer our staff strong and caring support in dealing with problems at work or at home – we quickly respond to anyone having difficulties or requiring assistance of any kind.
Caring For Our Community
Long View’s culture of caring extends beyond our company. We believe Long View has shown commitment to community involvement and social responsibility, and that it surpasses traditional corporate involvement. Long View has supported over 40 different causes and our staff members regularly volunteer for many of these causes.
A few highlights are below:
- Rethink Romp: Cancer research is near and dear to the hearts of the people at Long View. We have a number of survivors among our staff and, most recently, the company suffered the tragic loss of an employee’s spouse to brain cancer. Long View is a sponsor of this annual fundraiser for the Rethink Breast Cancer organization. Other fundraising efforts include Run for the Cure, Ride to Conquer Cancer, and Easter Seals.
- Bowl for Kids: Long View is an annual sponsor of Bowl for Kids in support of Big Brothers and Big Sisters.
- Sporting events & corporate challenges: Long View participates in and/or sponsors various local sporting events and is a regular participant in local corporate challenges.
The diversity of our growing staff means that disasters, though seemingly far away, often strike close to home. A few initiatives we have taken on include:
- Red Cross and United Way Disaster Relief: Long View assisted relief efforts after the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, sent aid to victims of Hurricane Katrina, and supported redevelopment efforts after the Southeast Asian Tsunami. Responsible global citizenship is an important part of operating with integrity – one of Long View’s essential core values.
- Laptop donations: Led by the relationships and efforts of some Long View staff members, the company donated laptops to be used by primary school children in the Jamaican town of Lucea.
Long View also reaches out to the business community through a schedule of regular events, including its annual golf tournaments and holiday galas. By offering more than just networking opportunities, the company empowers other businesses to take advantage of the growth opportunities available through the use of business technologies that enhance corporate culture. For example, in 2008 Long View hosted i-Technology. This event is an executive seminar series that explored the changing influences on today’s business culture and how they relate to technological and personnel resources.
Some of the charities we support include:
- Canadian Cancer Society
- Rethink Breast Cancer
- Heart Beats Children’s Society
- Red Cross Disaster Relief
- Calgary Inter-Faith Food Bank
- High School Athletics Programs
- Calgary Seniors’ Resource Society
- Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Kids Cancer Care Foundation
- United Way
- Multiple Sclerosis Society
Long View and Rethink
Since 2008, Long View has been a key sponsor and supporter of Rethink – a charity dedicated to assisting young women going through treatment or living with breast cancer. Rethink also promotes public awareness of breast cancer issues. In 2009 Long View helped raise over $40,000 through Rethink’s annual fundraising event, the Rethink Romp. Proceeds raised from the event supported several Rethink programs, including:
LIVE LAUGH LEARN – A monthly gathering to connect young women affected by breast cancer. Mixing a healthy dose of education with time to meet, chat, eat and laugh.
SUPPORT SATURDAYS – Moms with breast cancer gather to discuss their concerns and experiences in a warm, confidential, professionally facilitated environment. Through this family-focused support program, kids and partners also get much-welcomed bonding and support.
PEER SUPPORT – A young woman newly diagnosed with breast cancer can be connected with a Peer Supporter – a young women who experienced breast cancer at a similar age and stage of life.
THE NANNY ANGEL NETWORK – Professionally trained nannies volunteer to provide quality, compassionate relief childcare, at no cost, to mothers diagnosed with breast cancer who are in treatment or in the early stages of recovery.
Caring for the Environment
Long View is proud to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions by embracing technology that allows us to reduce business travel. Using a business video solution, Telepresence, our staff and manufacturing partners stay connected without traveling.
- From March 30, 2009 to April 1, 2010 Long View used Telepresence 544 times (45 times per month)
- Based on our reduced travel, we avoided contributing to an average of 118 metric tons of CO2 per year
- This is equivalent to reducing the annual greenhouse gas emissions of 23 vehicles, and reducing the CO2 emissions from total energy use of 10 homes per year
- This is also the amount of CO2 sequestered annually by 25.2 acres of pine or fir forest
Long View is currently working with Calgary Economic Development on an initiative called WORKshift. This is a telework program that is designed to accelerate and promote the adoption of telework within the business community in Calgary.
The WORKshift program is designed to accelerate and promote the adoption of telework within the business community in Calgary and the benefits that both employers and employees can experience because of it. A key goal of the program is to demonstrate how an innovative approach to working will improve competitiveness, reduce operating expenses, and improve quality of life while reducing the city’s carbon footprint.